OLG Recruitment is currently looking for a Welding Engineer to work for a major client, at their site in Teesside.
This is a contract position for 6 months, working 40 hours a week Monday - Friday. Hybrid working is to be expected as well as remote working. The rate of pay will be approx. £30.00-£40.00 per hour (PAYE), depending on experience.
Purpose of Job
- To provide welding engineering expertise as part of a team, to maintain and improve the product quality and cost base.
- To minimise the risk of non-conforming products entering the marketplace.
- Carry out duties in a safety-conscious manner to contribute towards the achievement of the client’s health and safety plan and compliance with the client's Health & Safety Management System.
- Monitor fabrication quality, inspection & welding processes in use to ensure compliance with agreed standards and cost assumptions. Investigate and resolve fabrication quality issues, taking or recommending appropriate corrective action.
- Produce weld procedures from engineering drawings to enable fabrication most cost-effectively.
- Design & qualify welding procedures to meet product and client requirements.
- Maintain the welder qualification system and ensure that all welders are appropriately qualified for the work they are expected to carry out.
- Establish methods and procedures for all heat treatment opportunities.
- Investigate complaints relating to fabrication & welding engineering issues and recommend appropriate corrective action.
- Review and approve subcontractor and supplier weld procedures and, on occasions, confirm correct application.
- Expedite plant trials, report results and recommend action where appropriate.
- Technically assess and purchase all welding consumables, and control welding consumable stores to ensure consumable availability but subject to limitations of budgetary control.
- Train Workshops personnel on fabrication quality & welding engineering issues & new technologies.
- Train new Workshops personnel by the departmental induction procedure and also ensure they are fully conversant with necessary welding engineering & quality issues.
- Develop the Workshops’ capabilities for welding concerning the latest technology
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- The job holder should be educated to a degree or equivalent level in metallurgy or a science or engineering discipline and possess
- Experience in steel and other material fabrication Welding Engineering Qualification, ideally to EWE / IWE is essential.
- Detailed knowledge of relevant Workshops fabrication & welding processes
- The ability to identify the origin & cause of fabrication & welding defects.
- Effective presentation skills