OLG Recruitment are currently recruiting for a Stress Engineering Head of Department. Our client has been established for over 40 years operating as a leading UK Engineering Consultancy, supporting blue chip clients within the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, nuclear, speciality chemicals & steel sectors. The client’s head office is located in Immingham, North East Lincolnshire, with satellite offices based in Daresbury, Colden Common and Grimsby.
The appointed candidate will be responsible for leading the Stress department in supporting the delivery of integrated design engineering and overall strategic objectives by ensuring efficient delivery and improvement across the functions.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Overall management of the Stress department across multiple office locations.
- Provide daily line management to the Stress department and assist with setting work load and objectives for individuals.
- Provide effective scheduling and utilisation of labour.
- Champion OLG culture and values within the Stress department.
- Lead and drive the implementation of initiatives from concept through to operation within the department.
- Review, develop and implement the necessary systems to effectively and efficiently manage the Stress department.
- Provide discipline specific input into tenders and proposals as required.
- Promote new initiatives to clients and third parties as required.
- Monitor performance of the department and where appropriate seek feedback from customers to ensure ongoing organisational learning across the function.
- Regular liaison with customer focal points and attendance at key meetings as required.
- Contribute to periodic risk reviews and develop strategies that mitigate exposure to both internal and external risks.
- Support the business to identify, evaluate and select appropriately skilled Stress personnel in line with the business recruitment strategy.
- Conduct and support competency assessment of Stress personnel.
- Support the personal development of all Stress personnel. This will include the undertaking of appraisals in line with OLGs Personnel Appraisal procedure.
- Provide positive engagement across all levels of the company to achieve business HSE KPIs.
- Support the business to build and implement appropriate engineering processes and procedures.
- Maintain regular contact and dialog with the Engineering Director highlighting any issues, concerns or areas for improvement.
- Act as OLGs Technical Authority for Stress.
- Target a minimum of 50% of time to be chargeable to clients.
Attributes and Technical Skills:
- Conduct pipe stress engineering of piping systems as per requirements of ASME B31.1, B31.3, AD2000, EN 13480, ASME VIII BPVC., PD5500. Using Caesar II software.
- Perform evaluation of nozzle loads or vessels stress against the criteria provided by the equipment manufacturer or relevant codes/standards like API 520, API 610, and WRC 297/107.
- Flange leakage and stress calculations resulting from piping moments and forces.
- Minimum pipe wall thickness calculations, reinforcement pad calculations and local stress calculations at support points.
- Selection and design of pipe supports and special components needed to meet piping stress requirements, such as expansion joints and spring hangers.
- Nozzle Qualifications of drums, vessels, and rotating equipment.
- Pressure Vessel nozzle loads calculation with Finglow or NozzlePro.
- Checking of piping plans/isometrics to ensure incorporation of piping stress analysis requirements.
- Preparation and checking of Stress Analysis Model drawing from piping isometrics/plans, P&IDs, and other relevant documents.
- Review vendor drawings and conduct technical bid evaluation.
- Challenge the norm and how things are done to deliver better result for all stakeholders.
- Ten years’ experience in relevant industries.
- Fifteen years’ experience engineering detailed design.
- Experience in leading and developing teams.
- Must have good working knowledge of industry codes and standards.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail, diligence and self-discipline.
- Delivery focused and committed to achievement of Project/Company goals.
Professional Qualifications / Relevant Experience:
- 15 years post training.
- 10 years experience post graduate.
- MEng Degree
- Chartered is preferrable.
- Accepts ownership, is accountable and delivers on commitments.
- Self-motivated with no supervision.
- Business driven.
- Works effectively as part of a team.