OLG Recruitment are currently recruiting for a Civil / Structural Head of Department. Our client has been established for over 40 years operating as a leading UK Engineering Consultancy, supporting blue chip clients within the Oil & Gas, petrochemical, nuclear, speciality chemicals & steel sectors. The client’s head office is located in Immingham, North East Lincolnshire, with satellite offices based in Daresbury, Colden Common and Grimsby. The Civil & Structural team currently comprises of over 20 - Engineers/Designers/Technicians.
The appointed candidate will be responsible for leading the Civil & Structural department in supporting the delivery of integrated design engineering and overall strategic objectives by ensuring efficient delivery and improvement across the functions.
The key duties of the post are as follows:
- Overall management of the Civil and Structural department across all UK locations.
- Provide line management to the Civil and Structural department and assist with setting workload and objectives for individuals.
- Provide effective resourcing to meet deadlines.
- Enable seamless working alongside other disciplines.
- Champion a positive culture and high values within the Civil and Structural department.
- Lead and drive the implementation of initiatives from concept through to operation within the department.
- Review, develop and implement the necessary systems to manage the Civil and Structural department effectively and efficiently.
- Provide discipline specific input into tenders and proposals.
- Promote new initiatives to clients and third parties, ensuring the delivery of best in class.
- Monitor performance of the department and where appropriate seek feedback from customers to ensure ongoing organisational learning across the function.
- Regular liaison with customer focal points and attendance at key meetings as required.
- Contribute to opportunities and risk reviews to develop strategies that support the business and mitigate exposure to risk.
- Conduct and support competency assessment of civil and structural personnel.
- Support the personal development of all Civil and Structural personnel. This will include the undertaking of appraisals in line with Personnel Appraisal procedure.
- Provide positive engagement across all levels of the company to achieve business HSE KPIs.
- Support the business to build and implement appropriate engineering processes and procedures.
- Maintain regular contact and dialog with the Engineering Director highlighting any issues, concerns, or areas of improvement.
- Act as Technical Authority for Civil and Structural.
- Target a minimum of 50% of time to be chargeable to clients.
Attributes and Technical Skills:
- Challenge the norm and how things are done to deliver better result for all stakeholders.
- Experience in the Oil and Gas industry would be an advantage.
- Fifteen years’ experience in engineering detailed design.
- Experience in leading and developing high performing teams.
- Must have knowledge of current industry codes and standards.
- Excellent communication, coordination, and teambuilding skills
- Excellent attention to detail, diligence, and self-discipline.
- Delivery focused and committed to achievement of Project/Company goals.
- An attractive salary, negotiable based upon experience
- Company Pension Scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- 25 Days + 8 bank holidays
- Company sick pay scheme
- Flexible working
Professional Qualifications / Relevant Experience:
- BEng Degree in Civil Engineering or relevant equivalent qualification
- Chartered Civil or Structural is preferrable
- Self-motivated without supervision
- Commercially astute