We are now recruiting for an experienced Civil Engineer to work for one of our major clients. The role is a full-time permanent role entailing travel across the UK, specifically between sites at Immingham, Damhead Creek, Shoreham, Rye House and Blackburn. Base location could be at any of the mentioned sites, depending on the successful candidate’s circumstances.
The Civil Engineer will report to the Group Asset Integrity Lead and will have a strong focus on the civil structures at the power station sites. This will include concrete and steel structures, such as rotating equipment foundations, seawater intake systems, roads, building steelwork & cladding, exhaust stacks, ladders and walkways, etc.
The role will include assessment of existing assets and contribution to development project works.
• Provide civil engineering assistance and technical support throughout the business.
• Carry out civil inspections and prepare concise and detailed reports on the findings.
• Review reports prepared by others to ensure that these are precise and concise and meet the expected standard.
• Carry out asset risk assessments based on the results from inspections and incorporate the findings in the asset management systems/plant status review.
• Have the ability to prepare budget estimates for works based on accepted civil engineering guidance.
• Prepare technical specifications for inspection and assessment work incorporating relevant codes of practise and guidance standards.
• Carry out project work to investigate or assess specific civil engineering issues as these become apparent from engineering standards or legislation.
• Supervise contractors to ensure the requirements of the specification are met.
• Review or prepare risk assessments and method statements to a standard consistent with the business practise.
• Ability to effectively plan and manage a range of projects to ensure that required timescales are met.
• Assist in the development and implementation of engineering governance policies.
• Assist in the production and implementation of civil engineering standards and technical guidance documents.
• Support due diligence activities during the acquisition or divestment of plant.
• Contribute to panels of inquiry.
Full Time, Permanent
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Qualified to degree level in Civil Engineering or related discipline
• Preferably Chartered member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
• Significant relevant experience in Civil Engineering, preferably in a power generation environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good report writing and presentation skills.
• IT literate.
• Health & Safety trained, preferably to NEBOSH level.
• Experience of a client / operator environment and knowledge needed to enable quality control of contractor technical work, ensuring appropriate techniques and standards.
• Experience of implementing risk-based inspection programs.
• Experience of coordinating fitness for services assessments and failure investigation studies.
• Self-motivated and able to work with limited supervision
• Hold a full UK driving licence.
• Ability to travel to all locations in the UK
• Good planning and programming skills.
• Ability to respond to demanding deadlines and delivery of results to a high standard at short notice
• Solve engineering problems by the application of good engineering judgement supported by knowledge of Civil Engineering codes and guidance documents.
• Diligently carry out inspection and assessment works and have the engineering experience and judgement to prioritise findings and recommendations.
• Be able to work in confined spaces and at height.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
• Ability to handle multiple work projects running together as the business need arises
• Organises own workload.
• Ability to work as part of a small team, encourage collaborative working relationships.
• Ability to assist and support colleagues and promote co-operation.
• Desire, aptitude, and attitude to learn and develop, and share your knowledge and experience with colleagues.
• Embraces change and ability to adapt self and others to new situations / working methods.
• Flexible approach applying your skills to meet the business needs.
• Promotes business ethics with high regard to Environmental and Safety factors.